Friday, October 23, 2009

Court Records

Question: I would like to examine some Alaskan criminal trial records. Is this possible and how would I go about it?

Answer: With limited exceptions such as juvenile cases, court records in Alaska are available for public inspection. Here is information on requesting a court record from the Alaska Court System page at

Requests for copies of case files should be submitted in writing to the records department or clerk of court where the case was filed. A complete list of Alaska Court System contact information is available on our website. Email requests for copies are not accepted.
Your written request for copies should include:
  • the names of the parties
  • the case number
  • the case type (for example: civil, criminal, probate, small claims)
  • your name
  • your address
  • your phone number

Most court records are available for public inspection. Copies are 25¢ per page. A certified copy of a document is $5.00. There is a $15.00 per hour research fee. A deposit may be required on some copy requests.
Records in some proceedings, such as juvenile matters, are confidential and only parties to the case are allowed access to the file.
If you are not sure what court has the case file you are interested, visit the Alaska Trial Courts search page at

No comments: